Bane Witch Agathia
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Bane Witch Agathia
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Death Kiss - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.
- Soul Taker: Cull Soul - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed within 2" of this model, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. After this model replenishes focus during the next Control Phase, replace each soul token with 1 focus point.
- Ghost Walk - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Ghostly for one turn. (Ghostly - This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them. It cannot be targeted by free strikes.)
- Hellfire - Cost 3, 10" range, POW 14
- Models disabled by Hellfire cannot make a Tough roll. Models boxed by Hellfire are removed from play.
- Hellwrought - COST 2, RNG 6", UPKEEP
Target warjack in the spellcaster's battlegroup gains +2 ARM and Retaliation. (Retaliation - if this model is damaged, at the start of the next turn it gets a free small move & melee attack.)
- Parasite - Cost 3, 8" range, Offensive Upkeep
- Target model/unit suffers -3 ARM and the spellcaster gains +1 ARM.
- Vanish - Cost 1
- Place the caster anywhere completely within 3". Can only be cast once per turn.
Friendly Faction models/units currently in Agathia's control range are affected by Ghost Walk (as above). While in Agathia's control range, friendly Faction models gain Stealth. Additionally, when a warjack in Agathia's battlegroup ends its activation in her control range, you can immediately place that model anywhere completely within 3" of its location. Shadowfall lasts for one round.
Thoughts on Bane Witch Agathia
Bane Witch Agathia in a nutshell
Bane Witch Agathia is the Cryx Battlebox caster. Like all Battlebox casters, she is built to be relatively simple to use while still providing a meaningful introduction to the faction. As such she exemplifies many of the powers and weaknesses of Cryx.
Her tool box hits many of the hall marks of Cryx including a debuffs,soul mechanics, mobility improvements, above average focus, and a strong offensive spells. On the down side, her protective abilities will be short lived and she is not that hard to kill.
Leveraging her strengths primarily means using her spells rather than her personal combat ability. As good as Dark Shroud can be, it's best to keep her safe with distance and clever use of Vanish.
Maximising her feat & spells
Agathia's feat provides several different bonuses to your army including faction wide stealth, faction wide ghostly, and battlegroup teleport at the end of activation. Each one of these buffs can be powerful in turn and should be leveraged if possible.
Against a gunline with limited anti-stealth tech, it may be worth using this feat for this buff alone. You can rush your army into position to threaten objectives forcing enemy gunlines to move forward or lose on scenario.
Faction wide ghostly is a huge buff. In anticipation of using this feat, take advantage of the terrain. Cover from walls, blocking LOS obstruction, and patches of rough terrain to restrict enemy movement.
The last element of the feat is a short teleport, don't underestimate the utility of this. It can be used to dive into protective terrain like a forest's concealment or cover from a wall or trench. After charging an enemy, you can teleport out of the way so another one of your units can move in and continue the attack if the enemy survived. Without this, you might be hard pressed to to fit more than one heavy warjack around some targets.
- Hellwrought is a spell with unexpected utility, as not only does it make Deathjack an arm 21 snacking terror, the vengeance move it provides can allow drag jacks threat extension and shooting crab jacks the ability to aim. Because of its synergy with Shield Guard, an Inflictor is also a great target for this spell. Helljacks also arm buff, but even at arm 19 they are easy to kill or cripple in one round, limiting the value of the vengeance.
Typical Strategy & Army
As a Cryx caster, Agathia is going to win through denying your opponent's strengths, superior mobility, and debuffs. Parasite will help you remove even heavily armored targets. Ghostwalk and her feat will let the most dangerous element of your army reach the enemies most valuable. Superior arcnode availability should allow Agathia the board presence to leverage these advantages.
Agathia supports her army in a variety of ways allowing newer players to explore the faction in their own fashion. When seeking infantry, find the units that are most likely to use both Ghostwalk and Parasite.
- Satyxis Raiders are the best infantry in the faction. As they already hit accurately, they make excellent use of Agathia's Parasite debuff as well as Ghostwalk. Satyxis Blood Witches aren't bad either, but will not benefit from the feat as much since they already have stealth.
- Agathia has synergy with helljacks with the Drag ability. Ghostly allows dragging jacks to go through LOS blocking terrain to drag enemy heavies and the short teleport of her feat allows the jack to teleport away from the dragged target, either getting out of threat range in the case of a miss or allowing other jacks to follow up in the case of a successful drag.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Agathia does not have any form of DEF debuffs so she has a hard time dealing with high def targets without Satyxis.
- True Sight casters, like Issyria or Kara Sloan, are a hard counter to the defensive portion of Agathia's feat.
Tricks & Tips
- Agathia is, as stated, a Bane. Thus, if Tartarus curses a target, she will get its attack roll bonus. While it is nice when in melee, keep in mind it also applies to attack rolls done when casting a spell on this unit. Being a bane also interacts with the Desecrator helljack's Accumulator ability.
- Bane Witch Agathia is the battlebox caster for Cryx
- Originally released in Prime Mk3 [Verification needed]
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
Rules Clarification : Agathia
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)