|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
Bane Thralls, cunning undead warriors inscribed with countless runes and sigils of their dark rebirth, are versatile and deadly soldiers among more mindless undead. Wickedly proficient at killing, they host a darkness that both permeates their being and seeps into the world of the living. Few know the means by which these potent creatures are created, and only the most depraved masters of necromancy can begin to understand the nature of the malignant power from whence they arise.
Officer & Standard - Command Attachment
Rune-bound captains lead the blasphemous bane thralls onto the battlefield to slaughter for their own vicious pleasure. Only the most hateful and malevolent of spirits are chosen to lead the banes into battle.
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
|Cost||10/16; +5 for CA|
|1.6 each (excl CA)|
1.75 each (incl CA)
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Troopers & Standard
- War Axe (x2) - As above, but double the fun.
- Entire unit
- Officer only
- The officer has MAT 7, an extra War Axe and 5 hitboxes.
- Tactics: Rise - The unit gains Rise. (Rise - If this model is knocked down, at the beginning of your next Maintenance Phase it stands up for free.)
- Void Bringer (Minifeat) - Once per game the unit can bring back D3+1 Bane Grunts (who can move but not attack this turn).
- Standard only
- Standard Bearer - While the standard bearer is within 5" of the unit commander, the commander gains +2 CMD.
- Take Up - If this model is killed you may instead remove a Grunt within 1". Remove any effects on this model, and apply any effects that were on the old grunt.
- Granted: Tough - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Tough.
- They got Tough back. But they put in on the Officer so it can be sniped out.
2017.04 Thrall CID
- Tough is back on the Standard Bearer, Void Bringer changed to be less opponent-dependent, and the CA decreased in cost by 1 point
Thoughts on Bane Warriors
Bane Warriors in a nutshell
Bane Warriors are the undisputed ARM crackers of our infantry options and indeed they are some of the hardest hitting infantry in the game. With the addition of Ghostly these guys can get into interesting angles for backstrike and can threaten Jacks and Beasts thats are hiding behind a skirmish unit. They are also handy at delivering the Dark Shroud ARM debuff for our Jacks and other lighter infantry.
Thoughts on adding the CA
The CA is on the pricey end as far as CA go, but it has an armed standard bearer. It also adds quite a lot of survivability and lets you bring about three banes back - but is vulnerable to getting sniped out. Five points is only two points more than you'd spend on a standard pair of banes - cheap at the price.
Combos & Synergies
Banes pair well with anything that helps their average MAT or gets them across the board in one piece. Warcasters that can cast occultation, clouds, recursion effects or restrict enemy LoS will enjoy seeing a mostly full squad be delivered. If you bring the CA be on the lookout from denying yourself soul tokens or for opportunites to deny your opponent souls with the minifeat. Jacks that pair well are ones in which they can pull enemy jacks closer for the Banes to mop up such as Reaper or Malice. Desecrators have a distinct synergy with them because they gain a free focus if within proximity of a bane unit. Machine wraiths can also assist in bringing the enemy Jacks to your banes with Possession. Bane Lord Tarterous loves to pal around with banes. Its his sole purpose in death. A very fun but rare combo is to attack an enemy warjack with the Machine Wraith, use dark domination and walk the jack and present its back to Malice. Malice shoots and drags the warjack to B2B. Malice then hits and uses possession to walk the jack infront of your waiting bane unit. Banes charge the back of the jack....jack dead.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Bane Warriors suffer from their short threat range. With no built in defenses against ranged attacks they will get shot off the board unassisted or left in the open.
- DEF 12 means they die to charges and get shot by incoming fire.
- ARM 15 will fend off blast damage but little more than that.
- Watch for enemies sniping out the officer or standard,
Tricks & Tips
- Run a Bane Warrior into melee with an enemy, then send the rest of your army in to benefit from Dark Shroud. A unit of Banes can spread out and cover several enemies.
- You can get backstrikes more often than you'd expect.
- Bane Thralls (without CA) were originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- The UA was released in Forces of Warmachine: Cryx (June 2010)
- Original sculptor: Will Hannah
- Resculpt: ...?
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
Note to Editors