|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Bane Riders are chosen from among the most vicious and spiteful of bane spirits, their minds intact enough to be given positions of prominence among the armies of the Dragonfather. Astride their undead mounts, these malicious thralls can become wraith-like to move through trees and buildings until the moment they strike with their bane blades to cut down enemies their leader has marked with unholy curses.
|Unit Size||3 / 5|
|Cost||12 / 20|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Bane Blade - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
- Brutal Charge - This model gains +2 damage on charge attacks with this weapon.
- Mount - 0.5" reach, POW 12 mount
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks.
- Ghostly - This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them. It cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.
2017.04 Thrall CID
- Gained +1" RNG on their melee weapons
- Lost Curse, gained +1 MAT
- Gained Vengeance (stole it from the Knights)
Thoughts on Bane Riders
Bane Riders in a nutshell
Since the "Bane errata", the Bane Riders can again do what they were intended to : resist small shooting on the approach, impact infantry and threaten heaviest targets by piling up. Why ?
- They resist low POW shooting fairly well thanks to ARM18, which is one of the highest value in the game for heavy cavalry.
- This synergies very well with their new Vengeance ability, as doing some random shots on them and hoping to spike can backfire heavily by triggering Vengeance, which increases their volume of attacks and threat range.
- Their new 2" reach has given them back the ability to pile multiple charges on the same target (like a heavy warbeast or warjack). Double-boosted MAT7 POW15 strikes are a threat to almost anything in the game, especially in a faction that can pile up debuffs on juicy targets. Even if they don't kill their target, they can split up safely afterwards with the combination of Reposition and Ghostly.
Combos & Synergies
- The Wraith Engine has heavy synergy with Bane Riders : it buffs their ARM to 20 against shooting and magic, making them almost immuned to unboosted ranged attacks, and Dark Shroud will allow them to hunt heavies.
- Desecrators gain a focus in their proximity. You can reposition your Riders into or behind its Scather safely to prevent them to get charged by single wound infantry.
- Bane Lord Tartarus's Veteran Leader ability can buff their MAT even higher.
- Darragh Wrathe can make them threaten 13" with Death Ride (16" if Vengeance is triggered), or go to pseudo-ARM20 against anything living in his CMD range.
- Goreshade2 hands out stealth, and they are high value targets for his feat.
- Goreshade3 can bring them back with Mockery of Life or give them Occultation or Scything Touch.
- Skarre1 and Bane Riders are made to work together. They threaten at least 12", which makes great use of her feat : with 3 dices to hit they can reliably take down many infantry models with Impact hits, she raises their charge attacks to absurd P+S levels, and afterwards they camp at least ARM23 against any strike.
- Goreshade2, Coven and Deneghra2 have Curse of Shadows which allows cavalry to impact attack a unit affected by Curse of Shadows, and if they fail to hit carry on with the charge unimpeded.
Downsides & Drawbacks
- With only average boxes and slightly higher than average ARM these guys are prime targets for CRA's. Boosted damage moderately high POW shooting can take one out in one shot.
- They also don't have a lot of ability to stay entrenched in the slugfest so Repositons are key, along with follow ups.
Tricks & Tips
- You can use your Vengeance and Ghostly to go back 3" to get new charges or impact attacks, if needed.
- Reposition and Ghostly allow your Riders to pile multiple charges on the same target, like a heavy, and still spread out afterwards.
- Vengeance can allow you to move out-of-formation grunts back in formation freely.
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion. (2014)
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
| Mount Weapon
Impact Attacks - Movement
Impact Attacks - The attack(s)
Impact Attacks - Other