Bane Lord Tartarus
|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
Over two thousand years the soul that was to be Tartarus writhed in hellish agony until discovered and called from the void by Tenebrous. The lich lord bound the spirit into the stitched-together remains of several unearthed and defiled warrior-kings to become a unique necromantic masterpiece. Encased in rune-inscribed armor and given the unholy axe Rivener, Bane Lord Tartarus was created to rule over and dominate all bane thralls in service of the Dragonfather.
|Bane Lord Tartarus|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Rivener - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Death Toll [Small-based Bane] - When this weapon boxes a living enemy warrior model during this model's Combat Action, remove that model from play and add one Grunt to a friendly small-based Small-based Bane unit in this model's command range. Place the Grunt in formation and in this model's command range. The Grunt must forfeit its Combat Action the turn it is put into play.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.
- Veteran Leader [Bane] - While in this model's CMD range, other friendly Bane models gain +1 to attack rolls.
- Ghostly - This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them. It cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Rapid Strike - This model can make one additional melee attack each Combat Action.
2017.04 Thrall CID
- Curse was replaced by Veteran Leader.
- He got two points cheaper.
Thoughts on Bane Lord Tartarus
Bane Lord Tartarus in a Nutshell
Despite being a melee monster, Tartarus is more of a support piece. At least for the first few turns, until it is "safe" for him to wade in and make a real difference. You mainly take him for the Veteran Leader buff. He tends to only get in melee if you desperately need Dark Shroud on something, and/or the gains from killing a couple of plebs and turning them into Banes outweighs the risks of getting killed next turn.
In combat (assuming you don't throw him away early), Tartarus hits like a ton of bricks and is hard to kill with a large number of damage boxes, Stealth and enough ARM to ignore most AOEs. The Rivener as a long-ranged melee weapon and when combined with Death Strike, Dark Shroud, and Weapon Master it is absolutely brutal. Death Toll is a nice perk, but shouldn't be viewed as a "I need to charge this turn so I get some use out of Death Toll" ability. Because really, you're not going to get that many "free" Banes before something makes Tartarus go splat.
Combos & Synergies
- Bane Witch Agathia counts as a Bane model and will benefit from Veteran Leader on all attacks, including her spells. She can charge a target, cast Vanish to get into its back arc, and be hitting at effective MAT 10.
- He synergises well with Bane Knights and Bane Warriors because they get good benefits from both Veteran Leader and Death Toll.
- He has a slight synergy with Bane Riders. They don't benefit from Death Toll at all, and although they can benefit from Veteran Leader they tend to move so fast that they're outside Tartarus's CMD range most of the game.
- He can be taken for free in the Dark Host theme force.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Huge target on his forehead - your opponent will kill him at the earliest opportunity.
- Death Toll only works vs. living models.
- Even though Rivener can magically turn enemy dudes into Banes for you, it does not count as a magical weapon.
- By the time you add a unit of Banes for him to support you may as well be playing in the Dark Host theme force. This is a little bit stifling in list creativity.
Tricks & Tips
- Charge an enemy unit, kill one or two models, and add new Banes to a unit that hasn't activated yet. Then activate that unit and move them into a position to shield Tartarus from reprisal. This can combo well with the Bane Warrior's minifeat, Void Bringer.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- Sculptor: Jose Roig
- Nicknames: Tartarus, Tartar Sauce, BLT
Other Cyrx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders