Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Locke is an arcane mechanik in the service of the Order of the Golden Crucible. She is also a warjack support caster fighting alongside the Crucible Guard. She is a tinkerer who is focused on making machinery better. She is also secretly a member of the Convergence of Cyriss.
Rules subject to change.
This is a new model, and the information here is what was given at the start of the CID cycle
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke
- 3 Other
|Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Enhanced Fist (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Flame Jet (x2) - Spray 6", POW 12 gun.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Field Marshal [Precision Strike] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Precision Strike.
- Resourceful - This caster can upkeep spells on battlegroup models for free.
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+3 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
- Split Loyalties - When included in a Crucible Guard army, Locke is a Crucible Guard model, not a Convergence model. When included in a Convergence army, Locke is a Convergence model, not a Crucible Guard model.
Feat : Arcanodynamic Catalysis
Enemy upkeep spells and animi in Locke’s control range immediately expire. When an enemy model is forced, casts a spell, or spends 1 or more focus or fury points while in Locke’s’ control range, after the spell is resolved Locke gains one focus point and can immediately cast one spell without spending focus. Locke can boost attack and damage rolls on spells cast as a result of Arcanodynamic Catalysis. If a model casts a spell by spending focus or fury, Arcanodynamic Catalysis triggers only once. Arcanodynamic Catalysis lasts for one round.
Engine of Destruction - Cost 2
- The caster gains +2 SPD, +4 STR, and +4 MAT for one turn.
Jackhammer - Cost 1, 6" range
- Target model in the caster's battlegroup immediately makes one basic melee attack.
Redline - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target warjack in the caster's battlegroup 1) gains +2 STR and SPD, 2) can run, charge, slam, or trample without spending focus, 3) but suffers d3 damage point at the end of each activation.
Road to War - Cost 3, Upkeep
- When a friendly Faction model in the caster's CTRL range destroys one or more enemy models with a melee or ranged attack during its activation, immediately after the attack is resolved one warjack in the caster's battlegroup that is in its CTRL range can advance up to 3". A warjack can advance as a result of Road to War only once per turn.
Sentry - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Friendly Faction model gains Rapid Fire. (Rapid Fire - This model can make one basic ranged attack during your Maintenance Phase.)
Bombshell - COST 3, RNG 10, AOE 3", POW 13
On a critical hit, models hit are thrown d6˝ directly away from the attacker. Roll distance once for all models affected. Models thrown do not deviate. Move models farthest from the attacker first. Instead of suffering blast damage, models hit but not directly hit suffer a POW 10 damage roll. (Blast damage on non-critical hits is done normally.) The POW of collateral damage is 10.
Thoughts on Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke in a nutshell
Locke is an arcane mechanik in the service of the Order of the Golden Crucible. She is also a warjack support caster fighting alongside the Crucible Guard. She is a tinkerer who is focused on making machinery better. She is also secretly a member of the Convergence of Cyriss and can work for both factions, working exclusively as a jack caster in both. All her spells help her jacks, sometimes increasing their threat ranges by as much as 5" while helping them kill targets more effectively. And her field marshal, precision, lets her pick the column or branch on their targets.
Maximising her feat and spells
Locke's feat relies heavily on her spell selection and model placement. You either need to make your opponent spend focus/fury (Such as by attacking a Warcaster/Warlock and having them reduce or transfer), or make sure that you are able to capitalize on your opponent's use of focus/fury.
- Jackhammer is a key spell for Locke's feat turn, allowing you to make a melee attack with a battlegroup model for every Charge, Cast, Boost, or Transfer. However, Locke herself must be in range of the target, so you'll want Arc Nodes and Channelers. It's a great spell under most circumstances, but on feat turn if you have a way of casting it on one of your warjacks you get to hit back for every attack enemy beasts or jacks can make.
- Road to War is a mainstay spell of hers. Cast it on turn 1 and every non-Colossal has very interesting threat ranges.
- Redline is another one of her mainline spells - a speed and damage buff. Well worth spell cycling. Combined with Road To War that's a 5" threat extension and +2 damage.
- Engine of Destruction is a spell cast from turn 2 onwards in Convergence armies, but almost never cast in Crucible Guard unless the enemy is silly enough to get their caster within 12" of yours. This is because it boosts Locke to MAT 9 - and if Locke is MAT 9 then so are all her Vectors. In Crucible Guard it just gives an 11" charge threat range at MAT 9, P+S 16 to beat down enemy casters that get too close.
- Sentry is her ranged buff. It requires you have one decent ranged warjack (the rest can all be melee) - and gives you an extra shot.
- Bombshell is a bad zap. But if you can't do anything else on feat turn it's better than nothing.
Typical Army & Strategy
Her main method of winning is a warjack/vector beatdown, and her feat combined with jackhammer means she can beat up jacks and beasts - while Road to War is an anti-infantry spell. She's also a combined arms caster, with shooting triggering Road to War
She has a very effective assassination that involves delivering a Redline'd warjack to the enemy warcaster then Jackhammering them until they die. The warjack doesn't even need to Charge or make any attacks on it's activation. If it can arrive at the opponent's warcaster with at least one non-crippled weapon system, and you can get Locke or an Arc Node or Channeler to within 6", you've pretty much won. Run your 'jack if you need to, then activate Locke, use her Feat, and begin Jackhammering. 7 free Melee attacks from the warjack (5 if you are Convergence, you'll want to cast Engine of Destruction to boost your battlegroup to MAT 9) will most likely kill any caster, and under Locke's feat, every time they spend Focus to boost their power field or Fury to transfer damage, Locke gets to cast Jackhammer (or any other spell) for free, and gains 1 extra Focus. During her activation, she can then use this focus to cast another Jackhammer. That allows for 2 spells cast, or 2 free melee attacks, for every time your opponent transfers. They'll run out of Focus/Fury before you run out of attacks.
Army - Crucible Guard
Things you take in her army to help her with this strategy is Placeholder.
Army - Convergence
Due to some interesting interactions with Maker's Mark, Locke can take both the Toro and Vanguard in Convergence armies. Although they don't reach the absurd MAT 9 that Convergence warjacks do with her with Engine of Destruction they power up without needing to be so precise with order of activations, and a counter-charger can be really useful, especially with a reach weapon on her feat turn.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- She does nothing to help models outside her battlegroup.
- Jackhammer has only a 6" range, which means she needs to either channel (and Convergence channellers are easy to kill while Crucible Guard arc nodes burn out) or play uncomfortably far forward to make best use of her feat.
- Ranged attacks can be vital to trigger Road to War.
Tricks & Tips
- Road to War is vital in Convergence.
- Watch for that assassination. The jack she starts the turn with Redline on can potentially run twice its speed plus 7" in a turn - and if she can get herself or an arc node within 6" of that, and they aren't absurdly high DEF, she can pulp a caster.
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters||Aurum Legate Lukas di Morray - Aurum Adeptus Syvestro - Marshal General Baldwin Gearhart & Mr. Clogg - Aurum Lucanum Athanor Locke - Captain Eira Mackay|
|Warcaster attachments||Aurum Legate Alyce Marc - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Mercenary) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Liberator - Retaliator - Vanguard||Suppresor - Toro - Vindicator||Vulcan|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Infantry - Assault Troopers - Combat Alchemists - Dragon's Breath Rocket - Rocketmen - Shock Troopers - |
Ranking Officer : Doctor Adolpheus Morely
|Solos|| Rocketman Ace - Mechanik - Trancer|
Prospero - Gorman - Hutchuck
|Battle Engines||Railless Interceptor|
|Primae Materia - Magnum Opus|
|Warcasters||Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis - Axis, The Harmonic Enforcer - Father Lucant, Divinity Architect - Forge Master Syntherion - Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors - Eminent Configurator Orion|
|Light||Corollary - Diffuser - Galvanizer - Mitigator|
|Heavy||Assimilator - Cipher - Conservator - Inverter - Modulator - Monitor|
|Colossals||Prime Axiom - Prime Conflux|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Clockwork Angels - Eradicators - Obstructors - Optifex Directive - Perforators - Reciprocators - Reductors
|Solos||Accretion Servitors - Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - Attunement Servitors - Elimination Servitors - Enigma Foundry - Reflex Servitors - Steelsoul Protector|
|Battle Engines||Transfinite Emergence Projector & Permutation Servitors|
|Destruction Initiative - Clockwork Legions||Eilish Garrity, the Occultist|
Note to self: I need to update this rules section after the CID rules are finalised - juckto.