With a horrifying howl that chills the blood of its prey and unusually keen senses that allow it to detect enemy movement under almost any circumstances, the argus moonhound is a ferocious hunter and a favorite of the warlocks of the Circle Orboros. As it closes in on its prey, the moonhound uses its howl to flush the victim out into the open, where it tears the hapless creature to pieces with savage teeth.
|FURY/THR||3 / 9|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Bite (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapons
- Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Circular Vision - Enemies get no bonuses from attempting a back strike on this model.
- Mark Target - While this model is in formation, other friendly Faction models gain +2 to attack rolls if they target an enemy within 5" of this model and in its LOS.
Hunting Howls - Cost 1
- While within 5" of the caster, enemy models lose Stealth.
Thoughts on Argus Moonhound
Argus Moonhound in a nutshell
The Argus Moonhound is a dirt cheap light warbeast that helps your shooters hit things. It has one job - supporting shooters.
Combos & Synergies
This argus helps Circle's core ranged units, and is often fielded alongside:
- Reeves of Orboros More attacks are better.
- Druid Stoneward & Woldstalkers Zap. Better attacks are better.
- Sentry Stone & Mannikins Raising their low base RAT means they can save focus for boosting damage.
It also helps the bigger guns of the Circle:
- Loki doesn't need to boost for reliability while shooting with a nearby Moonhound giving him an extra attack to batter a heavy into a pulp.
- The Pureblood Warpwolf can take out an impressive number of enemies on an angled assault spray charge with the moonhound putting the number required to hit onto the high side of the bell curve.
- The Celestial Fulcrum is currently in CID but looks good and loves to hit boosts.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Two low POW low MAT attacks means that its offence is pretty poor. The Moonhound is a pure utility beast.
- It doesn't support magic attacks (other than by removing stealth)
Tricks and Tips
- Much of the time you're going to end up running and looking for angles with the Moonhound.
- Don't worry about one getting killed. It's very cheap.
- There are times the ability to remove stealth (frequently combined with a failed charge) is amazing and sometimes the setup for an assassination run.
Changes from Mk II
- It got cheaper.
Originally released in Hordes: Exigence (2014)
Themes for generic warbeasts (Edit)
Other Circle models
|Circle Orboros - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|The Bones of Orboros - The Devourer's Host - The Wild Hunt|
| See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.