Among Cygnar’s greatest living battlefield generals, Archduke Alain Runewood has given up the comfort and safety of his estates in aid of his country and his king. Wherever his command fights, Runewood leads from the heart of battle. His tactical acumen is finely honed, and his inspiring presence pushes his sword knights to fight fearlessly in the face of even the most dangerous foe.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Archduke Runewood
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun.
- Vindicator - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Drive : Reposition [5"] - While in this model's CMD range, a warjack under its control gains Reposition [5"]. (Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.)
- Battle Plan - Once per activation, at any time, this model can issue one of the battle plans listed below:
- March - Target nearby warrior model/unit within 5" gains Pathfinder.
- Path to Victory - Target friendly Faction warrior model/unit within 5" gains +2 to charge attack rolls for one turn.
- Reveille - Knocked down friendly Faction models in this model's CMD range immediately stand up. Models that became knocked down this turn are not affected by Reveille.
- Veteran Leader (Sword Knight) - While in this model's command range, other friendly Sword Knight models gain +1 to attack rolls.
Thoughts on Archduke Runewood
Archduke Runewood in a nutshell
Runewood is a support piece for melee-centric Warcasters and units. You primarily want to use him for his Battle Plans, most notably Pathfinder, and the occasional hand cannon shot. He's capable in Melee, but only as a last resort to defend other models behind your front line.
Combos & Synergies
Most of Cygnar's melee units love Path to Victory to make their charge attacks truly stellar. But notable beneficiaries include:
- Sword Knights start to go from fairly average to more elite warriors when near Runewood. When combined with Flank: Faction Warjack, their MAT is effectively among the best in the game.
- Lord Commander Stryker likes to have his charge attack hit, particularly when using Overload. By using Path to Victory, he doesn't have to rely on Positive Charge to take on high DEF casters. March can also useful to circumvent any difficult terrain between Stryker and his target.
- If you don't want to choose between March and Path to Victory, bringing along Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord gives you a second source of March.
- If you want to make use of his drive there are a small handful of jacks where being marshaled is actively superior to being run by a warlock/warcaster.
- The Sentinel is a cheap shield guard with multiple attacks - and with Reposition it can move out, shoot, then move back to a shield guard spot.
- The Cyclone is never going to have the focus to boost all its shots. But can get a flat to hit or damage bonus on both.
- The Hammersmith likes the way it can get up the table faster with Reposition - and Strike True gives it a better chance of getting its chain attack to work than focus would.
- On paper the Stormclad works well if you can use its Accumulator and Captain Arlan Strangewayes' Empower alongside the Crush! order for 4 P+S 21 attacks.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His defensive stats are fairly average, he doesn't want to be near the front line.
- While his Drive is useful, he doesn't do anything fantastic for any of the Warjacks he can control. For controlling a Stormclad, the Stormblade Captain can offer the same Drive as well as the source for Accumulator without needing a 3rd model or unit.
Tricks & Tips
Battle plans aren't an action. This means you can use them before running, after completing a successful charge or in addition to making ranged or melee attacks.
Comparison to Mk2
Runewood is largely unchanged from his Mk2 version. The main differences are his Drive and the loss of Sacrificial Pawn: Faction Warjack.
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
Other faction models