Anastasia di Bray
Mercenary Llaelese Solo
Fluff blurb here
- Throwing Knives - 6" range, POW 7 ranged weapon.
- Thrown - If this model has a STR buff/debuff, it is added to the POW of this weapon.
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar mercenary or Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of an edge of the board (excluding the back of your opponent's deployment zone) on any turn after the first.
- Backstab - This model gains an additional die to hit and damage rolls when it attacks from the target's back arc.
- Espionage (★ Action) - Target enemy warlock or caster within 5". If the target is in range, friendly models/units in Anastasia's CMD range can immediately make a full advance.
- Parry - This model cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Intelligence - You get +1 to your starting roll at the beginning of the game.
Thoughts on Anastasia di Bray
Anastasia di Bray in a nutshell
Anastasia di Bray is a solo who provides +1 on your starting roll as her main selling point. In theory, she also ambushes and throws knives at people's backs. The key thing to remember about her is that she swings the chance of you winning the starting roll from 50% to just over 66%. Whatever she does on the battlefield after that is mostly a bonus - if she eats a boosted shot or a spell and doesn't kill anyone along the way she's still done her job by drawing out the enemy boosts. Espionage is a game winning ability that is nearly impossible to trigger.
Combos and Synergies
- Anyone with Telekinesis or who can otherwise speed her up, increases her reliability and usefulness.
- Espionage clearly aids other units, and is discussed in tips and tricks below.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- As more of a solo support piece her combat ability is very limited. She may knock off a support model or two herself behind enemy lines if she doesn't do much else.
- While her DEF is reasonable, if almost anything does hits her, she will probably die, even blast damage will likely remove all her boxes.
Tricks & Tips
- Ambush - just the threat of this sometimes can help control the board There will be times however it will seem to have little benefit.
- Espionage requires your opponent to let it happen. It's so difficult to pull off that you've probably already won the game if you manage it.
- Intelligence If nothing else she is giving you better odds on the starting roll. So don't worry overly if she dies and does nothing but stop a bullet.
- Scenario - spd7, parry, stealth, and ambush is a great toolkit for contesting wide zones. She's also good at killing flag-holding solos on Spread the Net and taking the flag herself.
Released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Thrown (Edit)
- You do not add the model's base STR to the thrown spear, just modifiers. The base STR is already included in the POW of the weapon. (Locked thread)
Rules Clarification : Ambush (Edit)
- Whether a model/unit is going to use Ambush or not needs to be declared before either player begins deploying models.
- Ambush occurs last in Step 5 of the Control Phase. You cannot use Apparition on a model that Ambushes. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Backstab (Edit)
- Backstab always applies on a free strike, because free strikes are always in the back arc. (Infernal Ruling)
- Backstab applies to magic and ranged attacks, too.
- For a caster with Backstab that uses an arc node to attack their target: Backstab doesn't care about the point of origin of the attack, and does not interact with Arc Nodes at all.
- In other words, if your arc node is in the target's back arc & but the caster is not, then Backstab doesn't apply. And vice versa, if your arc node is in the front arc & you're in the back arc, then Backstab will apply.
- Models with Circular Vision aren't immune to Backstab. They still have a back arc, and backstabbers can stand in it.
- Steamroller objectives have facings, and can be backstabbed. (Infernal Ruling)
- Before the game starts you should discuss with your opponent the facing of the objective.
- In Steamroller 2017, objectives face towards the opposing deployment zone.
Rules Clarification : Espionage (Edit)
- Since it says "model/unit", only one trooper needs to be in her CMD range for the entire unit to get the free move.
- If it's an enemy warcaster unit, you need to target the actual warcaster. It won't trigger off the troopers.
- Anastasia gets a free move from Espionage, too.
Rules Clarification : Parry - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Stealth (Edit)
- "Automatically missing" is not the same as "cannot be hit by".
- For instance, a stealth model can still be the target of an AOE attack and although it auto-misses, if the AOE deviates onto them they will get damaged.
Rules Clarification : Intelligence - None yet. (Edit)