|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Alten Ashley is a truly exceptional hunter of the great beasts stalking the wilds of western Immoren. His incredible skill is almost great enough to match his ego, but Alten's ability to bring down large game for his employers is too valuable to pass up.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Bucking Jenny - 14" range, POW 12 gun
- Sword 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Grievous Wounds - As above
- Mercenary - Works as a Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, or Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Minion - Works as a Circle Orboros minion, or Trollblood minion.
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Monster Hunter - When Alten hits a warbeast with an attack, the warbeast suffers d3+3 damage to the spiral of your choice. (And then he gets his regular damage roll.)
- Prowl - While concealed this model has stealth.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- His point cost went up slightly and Grievous Wounds now no longer works against huge bases. Because he was totally pwning Gargossals.
Thoughts on Alten Ashley
Alten Ashley in a nutshell
Altern Ashley is a ranged support solo, specialising in taking out enemy warbeasts. It is unusual to have Grievous Wounds on a ranged weapon, let alone one with such a long range, and this is what makes Alten special.
Early in MK3 Alten Ashley saw a lot of table time due to his Grievous Wounds ability combined with Monster Hunter let him cripple Gargantuans trivially (and he wasn't too bad vs Colossals either). Wanting to protect the viability of colossals, PP made them immune. At the same time, they cranked up Alten's point cost to an absurd 6 points (when they should have dropped it), so now he is only taken if he can be taken for free in a theme list. His selling points are Grievous Wounds and his extra damage dice against warbeasts, but nobody is paying 6 for that.
Combos & Synergies
- Other models with Deadly Shots, Sniper, or Marksman contribute well to his monster hunter ability. Arcane Tempest Rifleman, Kell Bailoch, Efaarit Scouts, Widowmakers, or Eiryss1 are all excellent candidates.
- Anything that can give him concealment to trigger Prowl.
- Assassin casters, who want their target surely dead.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He is mediocre against solos - however, they should not be his prime target.
- He is adequately defended for a solo but, knowing his threat, the enemy will try to do everything to remove him.
- It is all too easy to commit an overly large portion of your points into squishy sniper/marksman solos. Weigh their usefulness, before cramming all of them into your list.
- Became very expensive - he reached a price level, where people mostly will only consider him if he can be taken for free.
- He competes with solos that offer better utility.
Tricks & Tips
- Grievous Wounds prevents removal of damage, not just "heals", so Alten Ashley can prevent repairs to ... well, everything that isn't Massive or a Structure. Warjacks, warcasters, Exemplar Bastions ... you name it, Alten can Grievous Wound it.
- Monster Hunter does damage on a hit, then you get your regular damage roll as well.
- Go for the Spirit aspect; once you knocked it out, the warbeast can hardly do anything that requires forcing, and it also cannot be healed for a round. Tag a key warbeast again and again to prevent healing.
- The same goes for arc nodes: 2 Arcane Tempest Riflemen, or Kell Bailoch can shoot out the arc node on most light warjacks, then Alten will deliver the Grievous Wound to counter any potential repair.
- Released in Primal Mk1 (2006)
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2018.04.
|Cygnar (Edit)|| Khador (Edit)
|Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)|
|Circle Orboros (Edit)||Trollbloods (Edit)|
Other Faction models
| M |
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warcaster attachments||Madelyn Corbeau - Reinholdt - Wyshnalyrr|
|Lesser Warlocks||Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)|
|Units|| Cephalyx Mind Bender - Cephalyx Mind Slaver - Cephalyx Overlords - High Shields - Artillery Corps - Forge Guard - Idrian Skirmishers - Kayazy Assassins - Kayazy Eliminators - Ogrun Assault Corps - Precursor Knights - Press Gangers - Sea Dog Pirates - Deck Gun - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen - Tactical Arcanist Corps - Thorn Gun Mages|
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator
|Character Units||Alexia1 - Sam & The Devil Dogs - Croe's Cutthroats - Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowlers - Herne & Jonne - Aiyana & Holt - Lynus & Edrea - Commodore Cannon - Devil's Shadow Mutineers|
|Solos||Cephalyx Agitator - Gobber Tinker - Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber River Raider|
|Character Solos||Alexia2 - Alten Ashley - Anastasia Di Bray - Bloody Bradigan - Bosun Grogspar - Brun & Lug - Colbie - Dahlia & Skarath - Dirty Meg - Doc Killingsworth - Eilish Garrity - Eiryss1 - Eiryss2 - Hawk - Gastone1 - Gorman - Gudrun - Harlan Versh - Hutchuk - Kell Bailoch - Lanyssa - Rockbottom - Major Harrison Gibbs - Dougal - Orin - Ragman - Raluk - Rhupert - Rorsh & Brine - Rutger - Savio - Saxon - Sergeant Nick - Stannis - Taryn - Thor - Viktor - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw|
|Battle Engines||Hammerfall Siege Crawler|
|Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Hammer Strike - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - Operating Theater - The Talion Charter - Llaelese Resistance|