Aelyth Vyr, Blade of Nyssor
Aelyth Vyr, Blade of Nyssor
Aelyth Vyr is one of the most distinguished ryssovass ever to have watched over the mountain passes of the Shard Spires. He is the embodiment of the ryssovass tradition—a steadfast defender of his people and a merciless killer bent on ending the lives of those blighted Nyss who have forsaken their duties. With the recovery of Nyssor, Aelyth has found new purpose in overseeing and guiding the ryssovass who have flocked to Ios in aid of the Retribution.
|Aelyth Vyr, Blade of Nyssor|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Great Sword - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Cleave - If you destroy something in melee in your combat action, you get one extra free melee attack.
- Hard - This model is immune to damage/effects from impacts and collateral damage.
- Last Word - When Aelyth is disabled by an enemy attack, except while advancing (free strikes), then he can immediately advance up to 3" ignoring free strikes then make a basic melee attack.
- Leadership [Ryssovass] - Friendly Ryssovass models in this model's CMD range gain Hard.
- Precision Strike - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a melee attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage.
- Steady - This model can't be knocked down.
Thoughts on Aelyth Vyr
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Aelyth Vyr in a nutshell
Aelyth is a support for your Ryssovass Defenders, making them a handy counter against charges from Cavalry units (including various battle engines), and armies with access to a lot of slamming. On his own he's an OK combat solo, with slightly above-average defensive stats.
Combos & Synergies
- Aelyth lives and dies with the Ryssovass Defenders, and can be regarded as their de-facto character unit attachment. However, the fact that he is not attached to a single unit, allows him to buff 2 units at once in his CMD bubble. You can get him for free in the Defenders of Ios theme, where he gets a handy Reposition.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Doesn't offer anything for your army outside the Ryssovass Defenders
- Unless you take him for free, he pumps up the cost of an already expensive unit
Tricks & Tips
- Defenders with Hard, especially with Defensive Line can be hard counters (no pun intended) against battle engines, which can inflict damage with Impact attacks, as well as charge attacks. The same is true for cavalries, but they usually must advance at least 3" to perform impact attacks, while several BE can do it even by moving only a quarter inch. Plus, their huge base makes landing all the more difficult. Just look at the sample activation chart of the Gun Carriage, and how that changes with a couple of Ryssovass in the way:
- Hard cancels off Impact attacks, meaning that the Carriage must either just walk up and hit you, or rely on its charge attack, as a model left alive during an impact attack will cause a failed charge, ending the model's activation right there.
- If you happen to be in a triangle formation to get defensive line the Mount can't slam you through, even if he hits you. You are immune to collateral damage, and won't get knockdown either. All you need now is a tough check to pass, to halt the GUn Carriage's advance (it can still shoot though, thanks to Dual Attack).
- Originally released 2017.04
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|