Among the most powerful arcanists born in a generation, Adeptis Rahn Shyeel is a master of force manipulation and arcane science. His movements send ripples through the air, and with but a thought he can generate storms of kinetic force capable of rending metal and bursting flesh. With a wave of his hand men and machines alike are swatted aside as easily as gnats, and it is just as effortlessly that he brushes away entire volleys of incoming fire.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Adeptis Rahn
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Balance - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Beat Back - Immediately after a basic attack with this weapon is resolved during this model's Combat Action, the enemy model hit can be pushed 1" directly away from the attacking model. After the enemy model is pushed, the attacking model can advance up to 1" directly towards it.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Force Mastery - Rahn is immune to blast and collateral damage and cannot be knocked down. Also, when an enemy AOE deviates from a point within his CTRL range, you get to choose the direction after seeing the distance rolled.
Chain Blast - Cost 3, 1-0" range, 3" AOE, POW 12
- After determining the point of impact, a second 3" deviates from that point. Models in the second AOE are hit and suffer a POW 6 blast damage roll.
Force Blast - Cost 3
- Target a model in Rahn's CTRL range and battlegroup. Enemy models within 2" of the target are pushed 4" directly away from it, in the order you choose.
Force Hammer - Cost 4, 10" range, POW 12
- Non-incorporeal models are slammed d6" directly away from the spell's point of origin, before making the damage roll. Collateral damage, if any, is POW 12.
Polarity Shield - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Polarity Field. Doesn't affect models out of formation. (Polarity Field - This model cannot be charged or slammed from its front arc.)
Telekinesis - Cost 2, 8" range
- Place target model completely within 2" of its current location. If this spell targets an enemy model, it is an offensive spell and requires an attack roll.
Feat : Arcane Alignment
Friendly Faction models in his CTRL range gain additional range on non-channeled spells and boosted magic attack & damage rolls.
Analysis of Adeptis Rahn
Adeptis Rahn in a nutshell
Maximising his feat and spells
Typical Army & Strategy
His main method of winning is ...Placeholder.
For example: "using her feat turn to get a melee/ranged/spell assassination" "attrition then win on scenario" "board control then win on scenario" "sending a jack in, to beat the enemy warcaster's face into pulp" "etc"
Even early in the MK3 phase it is clear that Adeptis Rahn will shine with most models that have magic attacks as they will get the most out of his feat. Otherwise he can provide lots of moving the enemy around that can create clear shots and charge lanes for the rest of the Retribution's arsenal.
- Chimera - A cheap and mobile light myrmidon with an Arc Node, allowing Rahn to channel spells through it. Having a couple of these around extends the reach of Rahn's spells significantly, and is very useful for lining up a perfect Force Hammer slam.
- Phoenix - A heavy myrmidon with an Arc Node. It costs more than twice as much as a Chimera, but it's a lot more dangerous and flexible.
- House Shyeel Battle Mages - The Battle Mages provide the toolbox for Rahn. Their signature spell Force Bolt gets a good kick on Rahn's feat turn and otherwise provides more pushing around of the enemy. Under Rahn's feat, Force Bolt becomes far more likely to knock down enemy models, and its POW 10 hit becomes quite dangerous due to boosted damage rolls.
- House Shyeel Artificer - A good 'Jack Marshal that can keep their jacks shields topped off and can provide defense buffs to nearby models, he also has a solid magic attack to benefit from Rahn's feat. In addition, because Rahn has his own unique version of the House Shyeel Force Barrier ability, the Artificer's Force Wall buffs Rahn's defense to new heights against shooting.
- House Shyeel Magister - The Magister is basically a grown up battle mage, but with a few extra tricks. If you are building a Rahn list with intent to assassinate, the slams and 2" Whip Snaps these solos can provide are worth consideration.
- Discordia - He gets a good Bond benefit from Rahn and also offers assistance against enemy spell casters with his spray attack. His bladed fists are pretty good for punching and throwing things.
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr - One of Retributions favorite partisan's, he's good for everything you would normally want him for. Free upkeep, boost to a magic attack & damage roll, bonus magic range. He fits nicely in any Rahn list
- Lanyssa Ryssyl - While she wont benefit from Rahn's feat she is a good toolbox solo to toss in, especially if you plan to square off against Everblight.
- Sphinx - This model is a good beater in most lists, but Rahn, and his Battle Mage buddies, are often grateful for the range buff his gun gives to their spells.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Rahn's abilities and feat are focused around spellcasting. Enemies that are resistant to magic (i.e. hordes of Doom Reavers or Protectorate warjacks under the Hymn of Shielding) can give him a hard time.
Tricks and Tips
- Taking at least one and probably two myrmidons with an Arc Node is a good idea. They extend the range of Rahn's spells and let him threaten most of the table thanks to his 16" control range.
- Telekinesis is a very flexible and powerful spell. You can use it to:
- Move models into or out of range for charges, ranged attacks, etc.
- Change an enemy model's facing to stop it charging next turn, or to expose its rear arc for back strikes.
- Get a friendly model out of melee without taking a free strike (sometimes).
- Adjust a model's position to line up a perfect slam (see below).
- Force Hammer is expensive but extremely nasty. You can use it to knock something down from the comfort of your own deployment zone (courtesy of your arc nodes), then shoot or charge it. This can win games, especially if you do it to the enemy warcaster/warlock. Even if they try to hide behind other models, you can often just slam their bodyguards over them and knock them down anyway.
Changes from Mk II
- Increase to STR
- Increase to DEF
- Lost Critical Smite - On a critical hit, the model hit can be slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit has a larger base than the attacking model, it is moved only half the distance rolled. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the STR of this model. on melee weapon
- Lost Force Barrier - This model gains +2 DEF vs ranged attacks and is immune to blast damage.
- Gained Force Mastery - Rahn is immune to blast and collateral damage and cannot be knocked down. Also, when an enemy AOE deviates from a point within his CTRL range, you get to choose the direction after seeing the distance rolled.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
- Forges of War (Article) (Category)
- Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|